Operating System: You can download the Study materials and notes for Operating System in PDF files from the official website.
Operating System Books
The Books and Study materials for the first year engineering are now updated on the official website. We have updated several books on various subjects of Engineering. Candidates can choose the books they want and prepare for the examination. In this article, we are concentrating on the subject Operating System. An Operating System is the low-level software that supports a computer's essential functions, such as scheduling tasks and controlling peripherals.
Operating System Books 2018
An Operating System (OS) is an interface connecting a computer user and computer hardware. An operating system is a software which implements all the necessary tasks like file management, memory management, process management, handling input and output, and controlling peripheral devices such as disk drives and printers. The lowest level of any OS is its kernel. This is the first layer of software loaded into memory when a system boots or starts up. The kernel gives access to several common core services to all other system and application programs. Here, we are proving you with the Best books and Materials which are recommended by experts. These books will be beneficial for you at the time of preparation. The detailed syllabus of the subject is available on the web so that candidates can download the synopsis and follow according to that so that the learning process will be natural.
Operating System Syllabus- B.Tech 3rd Year
• Study the basic concepts and functions of operating systems.
• Understand the structure and functions of OS.
• Learn about Processes, Threads and Scheduling Algorithms.
• Understand the principles of concurrency and Deadlocks.
• Learn various memory management schemes.
• The study I/O management and Filesystems.
• Learn the basics of Linux system and perform administrative tasks on Linux Servers.
Introduction to Operating System Concept: Types of operating systems, operating systems concepts, operating systems services, Introduction to System call, System call types.
Process Management – Process concept, The process, Process State Diagram, Process control block, Process Scheduling- Scheduling Queues, Schedulers, Operations on Processes, Interprocess Communication, Threading Issues, Scheduling-Basic Concepts, Scheduling Criteria, Scheduling Algorithms.
Memory Management: Swapping, Contiguous Memory Allocation, Paging, the structure of the Page Table, Segmentation
Virtual Memory Management: Virtual Memory, Demand Paging, Page-Replacement Algorithms, Thrashing
Concurrency: ProcessSynchronization, The Critical- Section Problem, Synchronization Hardware, Semaphores, Classic Problems of Synchronization, Monitors, Synchronization
examples Principles of deadlock – System Model, Deadlock Characterization, Deadlock Prevention, Detection, and Avoidance, Recovery from Deadlock
File system Interface- the concept of a file, Access Methods, Directory structure, File system mounting, file sharing, protection.
File System implementation- File system structure, allocation methods, free-space management Mass-storage structure overview of the Mass-storage structure, Disk scheduling, Device drivers,
Linux System: Components of LINUX, Interprocess Communication, Synchronization, Interrupt, Exception and System Call. Android Software Platform: Android Architecture, Operating System Services, Android Runtime Application Development, Application Structure, Application Process management
• Design various Scheduling algorithms.
• Apply the principles of concurrency.
• Design deadlock, prevention, and avoidance algorithms.
• Compare and contrast various memory management schemes.
• Design and Implement a prototype file systems.
• Perform administrative tasks on Linux Servers
• Introduction to Android Operating System Internals
Operating System Pdf Free Download
|operating system notes for b.tech pdf||Download|
|operating system notes ppt||Download|
|Operating System Pdf handwritten notes||Download|
|operating system notes for engineering pdf||Download|
|The operating system for engineering Question Paper||Download|
List of Reference Books for Operating System of B.Tech 3rd Year
- Modern Operating Systems, Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Second Edition, Addison Wesley, 2001.
- Operating Systems: A Design-Oriented Approach, Charles Crowley, Tata Mc Graw Hill Education”, 1996.
- The Operating Systems: A Concept-Based Approach, D M Dhamdhere, Second Edition, Tata Mc Graw-Hill Education, 2007.
- Operating System Concepts, Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Baer Galvin, and Greg Gagne 9th Edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2012.
- The Operating Systems – Internals and Design Principles, William Stallings, 7th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2011.
- Operating Systems-S Halder, Alex A Aravind Pearson Education Second Edition 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the various components of the operating system structure and explain the layered and straightforward approach to the operating system in detail?
- In a multiprogramming and time-sharing environment, several users share the system simultaneously; This situation can result in various security problem:
i) What are two such issues?
ii) Can ensure the same degree of security in a time-shared machine as in a dedicated device? Justify your answer.
- Name five major activities of an OS concerning process management and briefly describe why each is required.
- Write in detail about the thread libraries.
- What is Readers-Writers problem? Give a solution to Readers-Writers problem using Monitors.
- What is a Critical Section problem? Give the conditions that a solution to the critical section problem must satisfy.
- What is a Virtual Memory? Discuss the benefits of virtual memory technique.
- What is Thrashing? What is the cause of Thrashing? How does the system detect Thrashing? What can the system do to eliminate this problem?
- What is a deadlock? Consider the deadlock situation that could occur in the dining philosopher’s problem when the philosophers obtain the chopsticks one at a time.
- Discuss how the four necessary conditions for deadlock indeed hold in this setting. What are the
solutions to this problem?
- Explain Deadlock Detection scheme for Several Instances of a Resource Type.
- Explain the three allocation methods in file system implementation. Illustrate with a proper diagram.
- What are the objectives of file management systems? Explain the file system architecture.
- Explain different structures and page tables with strengths and weaknesses.
We have updated all the necessary Materials which are needed for the preparation for your examination. Candidates can download the Materials and Books from the web for free in Pdf format and start preparing for the exam. Practice all the questions mentioned above to get a better knowledge of the subject. Also, refer the previous year question papers so that you will be confident to face the examination. Make sure that you share this link with your friends who are in search of OS books sot that these books will be helpful for them also.
Candidates can keep in touch with our website for more information on Operating System Programming Books.